With the new year coming up fast, you’re probably wracking your brain to find the perfect new year’s resolutions to improve your lifestyle in 2020. While many people opt for health or fitness-related resolutions, another type of resolution you should consider actually pertains to your hair!
If you’ve been experiencing dry, brittle or frizzy hair in the later months of 2019, you might be feeling down about your appearance or unmotivated to continue hair care. Fortunately, there are a few super-easy new year’s resolutions you can commit to in the new year that can make a huge hair transformation. By setting a hair-related resolution, you may be more motivated to follow through on it long enough for it to become a habit—ultimately leading to gorgeous hair all year long.
Here are five resolutions to help you start your new year with new hair:
- Improve your nutrition: Eating healthier is one of the most common new year’s resolutions, and for good reason. Most people dedicate themselves to healthier nutrition for the weight loss and bodily health benefits, but good nutrition can also have great effects on your hair! Eating balanced meals filled with essential nutrients like protein, vitamin A, vitamin C and iron can improve your hair health and even fight off the effects of hair loss. The healthier your body is, the healthier your hair will be! If you want to take things to the next level, you may even consider adding a daily hair, skin and nails supplement, such as biotin, to your 2020 routine. This important B vitamin is known for strengthening hair and improving its appearance and texture, in addition to providing many other benefits for the brain and body!
- Give up heat styling: This might be a tough one for some, but consider making a resolution to ditch your heat styling tools in the new year. Styling your hair using a flat iron, curling iron and blow dryer every day can dry it out and leave it brittle and damaged. Put the styling tools and away and embrace heat-free styling techniques or learn to work with your natural hair texture for effortless-looking locks. If you aren’t able to give up heat styling entirely, make an effort to limit heat styling to once per week or cut out one styling tool entirely; for example, let your hair air dry instead of using the blow dryer every morning.
- Switch to organic products: The products you use on your hair can have a major impact on how your hair looks, feels and holds up to stress and damage. In 2020, get rid of all your old products containing harmful ingredients like sulfates, parabens and synthetic fragrances and switch to all-natural hair care products instead. Organic shampoos, conditioners and oils are better for your hair, your scalp, the environment and your body! Plus, this resolution is super easy to achieve, since you can toss your old products and make the switch right away and never look back.
- Wash less: One resolution a lot of people don’t think about is vowing to do something less instead of more. When it comes to your hair, washing less often can actually have a dramatic impact on the health of your strands. Although everyone’s hair is different, skipping a wash every other or every few days can allow your scalp to regulate sebum production more easily, so you aren’t stripping your hair of its natural oils or making your scalp work overtime, causing your hair to be extra oily. Play around with how often you wash your hair or even try co-washing to find the perfect balance for your hair type.
- Hair care self-care: Self-care routines are something everyone could use a little more of, and taking more time for yourself might be one of your major goals in 2020. If you like the idea of a self-care new year’s resolution, put a hair care spin on it to help you relax and make your locks as beautiful as they can be! Make a point to take time for yourself and your hair in the new year, whether that means a weekly DIY hair mask treatment or a monthly trip to the salon. Your stress levels and your hair will thank you!
New year’s resolutions are all about making goals and working to better yourself through achieving them. Give your hair some extra love in the new year by committing to a few hair-related resolutions, and you may see improvements in other areas of your life as a result!