The skincare market is saturated with anti-aging creams that claim to work miracles on dry, wrinkled or damaged skin. However, there’s no magic formula that will immediately restore your skin’s smooth, supple appearance—the real solution is much simpler than that.
Wrinkles, dullness, sagging, discoloration—these aspects of aging skin are completely natural. As we get older, skin starts to wrinkle and sag because our bodies have slowed the production of key proteins like elastin and collagen. Additionally, years of damage from the sun and product buildup can take their toll. To protect and revive youthful skin, all you need are a few extra nutrients and healthy habits.
Aging is unavoidable, but you can regain a supple, smooth look with these eight all-natural skincare secrets:
- Keep your face clean: This step is easier said than done! Our complexions are constantly exposed to bacteria when we pick at blemishes or go weeks—possibly even months—without cleaning makeup brushes. Do your face a favor and resist the urge to scratch, pop and pick. Breakouts will get even worse, and you’ll be left with acne scars. Make sure you’re giving makeup brushes a good rinse with soap and water once a week and, of course, wash your face twice a day. It’s worth the hassle!
- Clear away dead skin cells: Dead cells that have built up over time can give your skin a dull appearance. Banish dead skin cells and brighten your complexion with a daily exfoliating scrub. Natural exfoliators like witch hazel, coffee beans and baking soda gently clear away the gunk trapped in your pores to rejuvenate skin and create a smooth texture. Exfoliated skin also absorbs skincare products more easily, improving their effectiveness.
- Treat yourself to a facial massage: It sounds silly, but scraping a stone against your face does wonders for your complexion! Gua sha stones are flat, polished pieces of quartz that gently promote blood circulation throughout the face and neck. Jade rollers create the same effect, too. Facial massages are relaxing, take only a few minutes and will give your skin an instant glow!
- Use products with retinol: Retinol is an essential ingredient derived from vitamin A that’s perfect for anyone who spends a lot of time outdoors. The compound reverses damage from UV rays and may prevent the formation of cancerous skin cells. When combined with an exfoliating scrub, retinol banishes dry, flaky skin so your natural glow can shine through.
- Take a warm (not hot) shower: Skin needs the optimal temperature so it can shed dirt while preserving natural oils. Water that’s too cold will make dirt and makeup harder to remove. Plus, no one likes a cold shower, anyway! Water that’s too hot, on the other hand, can strip away your skin’s natural oils and leave your complexion defenseless against pore-clogging grime. Your skin prefers a temperature somewhere in the middle.
- Add collagen powder to your diet: Skin is composed mainly of a protein called collagen. Our bodies produce collagen on their own, but this process slows down as we age. A daily collagen supplement will give your body the amino acids that are used to create collagen. These supplements not only add collagen to the body but encourage your internal processes to get working again. Higher collagen levels are associated with plump, smooth skin that retains its elasticity.
- Throw in some vitamin C: Among many other things, vitamin C is praised for its ability to brighten and even out skin tone. You can buy topical products containing vitamin C that will instantly give your face a glow up. For even better results, add more vitamin C to your diet. When this nutrient is absorbed via the digestive tract, it will reach the deeper layers of your skin. Vitamin C also aids in the absorption of collagen.
- Apply sunscreen every day: Sunscreen isn’t just for a day on the beach. It gives your skin a protective barrier that’s necessary anytime you venture outside, even if you’re all bundled up during the cold months. Dermatologists recommend a mineral sunscreen containing at least SPF 30 along with ingredients like zinc oxide or titanium dioxide. Sunscreen should be the last step in your skin care routine, otherwise it’ll prevent your pores from absorbing makeup and moisturizer.
Don’t let age take away your beautiful complexion! A little bit of help from these all-natural skin care tips will turn back the clock and restore a youthful, radiant look. Mix and match these tips to figure out what works for your skin and what doesn’t. At the end of the day, only you know what’s best!