Summer is finally here, and there’s no better way to celebrate than soaking up some rays. Unfortunately, all that time spent in the sun comes at a price. After months of outdoor adventures, your hair may start to look a bit dull. Hot temps and UV rays can damage hair, leaving you with dry, brittle strands.
There’s still hope for your hair, though! Sun damage is reversible through a healthy diet, proper hair care and tons of moisturizing. Read below for more tips on how to transform sun-damaged hair into shiny, beautiful locks.
Hair care routine for healthy strands
Dry, brittle hair doesn’t have to stay that way forever. A hair care routine designed for the summertime can make your locks shiny and strong once again. Follow these tips to bring dull strands back to life.
- Schedule a trim: The summer heat can dry out your hair, making it more prone to split ends. Go too long without a haircut, and those split ends will travel up the length of your hair. If you want to grow out your hair, visit the salon for a trim once every 12 weeks. This gets rid of split ends before they can lead to breakage.
- Switch to moisturizing products: Damaged hair looks and feels brittle because it lacks hydration. For those who spend lots of time in the sun, swap your usual hair care products with a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. Choose formulas infused with jojoba, argan or coconut oil to seal cuticles and replenish the hair’s protective barrier.
- Make your own hair mask: The ingredients in your kitchen provide natural sources of vitamins and minerals for luscious summer hair. Whisk together an egg and one mashed avocado for essential fatty acids that will make your hair super shiny. Massage into damp hair, then rinse thoroughly after 20 minutes. For best results, apply this DIY hair mask once a week.
- Skip the styling tools: Avoid blow dryers, straighteners and curling irons as much as possible. After spending many hours in the sun, the last thing your hair needs is more heat! Give damaged hair a break by experimenting with heatless hairstyles. A few weeks without styling tools will dramatically improve the look and feel of your hair.
Nutrients that revitalize damaged hair
Aside from topical products, sun-damaged hair needs the right balance of nutrients to regain its shine. Add these vitamins and supplements to your diet to revitalize hair from the inside out.
- Vitamin E: This nutrient maintains a healthy scalp, which serves as the foundation for strong and shiny hair. Vitamin E boosts scalp health by improving blood circulation and restoring the skin’s protective fat layer. As a result, you may notice increased hair growth and healthy looking strands. Vitamin E-rich foods include nuts, dark leafy greens and olive oil.
- Vitamins A and C: Both of these vitamins have the potential to increase melanin levels in the hair and skin. Higher levels of melanin are better at shielding strands from the sun’s UV rays. You can find vitamin A in orange fruits and vegetables like carrots, cantaloupe and sweet potatoes. Sources of vitamin C include strawberries, tomatoes and citrus fruits.
- Hair supplement: Get all the nutrients your hair needs in a single capsule. In addition to the vitamins mentioned above, a daily hair supplement combines organic herbs to boost hydration and increase blood flow to the scalp. Ingredients such as L-cysteine, bamboo and saw palmetto also stimulate growth for thicker, stronger hair.
Steps to protect hair from the sun
As always, prevention is key for maintaining healthy hair in the summertime. Keep these tips in mind as you head out into the sun.
- Wear a scarf or hat: Protective clothing can limit exposure to damaging rays. Wrap your hair in a silk scarf or put on your favorite wide-brimmed hat. You could also shade your head with an umbrella, which keeps the sun out of your eyes!
- Apply hair products with sunscreen: When people apply sunscreen, most don’t think to put it on their scalp. The scalp is part of your skin, and it needs protection just as much as the rest of your body. Zinc oxide, a key ingredient in sunscreen, is also available in hair products. Applying hair products with SPF properties will shield the hair and scalp from harmful UV rays.
Long days in the sun can do a number on your strands. Luckily, there are ways to reverse sun damage and get back to normal, healthy hair. With the right nutrients and hair care routine, you can enjoy outdoor activities without compromising those luscious locks.