You’ve heard this a million times, but we’ll say it once more—you need to drink more water! Everyone knows they have to stay hydrated, but we don’t always take the steps to make it happen. Water is more important than you may think, so refill your glass, settle in and learn how water can get your health on the right track.
How water supports good health
Adult bodies are made of at least 60 percent water. Therefore, it comes as no surprise that water is crucial for nearly all functions in the body. Here are just five of the many ways drinking water helps you stay healthy.
- Water delivers nutrients and oxygen: Blood is almost entirely made of water. Staying hydrated helps your bloodstream transport oxygen and nutrients from food to every cell in the body. Blood needs the right balance of water in order to maintain healthy blood pressure, as well. What’s more, water dissolves nutrients and helps them absorb better in the digestive tract.
- Water supports joint mobility: Water plays a huge role in joint health. Cartilage is the fleshy tissue inside your joints, and just like blood, it holds a large amount of water. Hydrated cartilage is responsible for cushioning the joints so you can move around with ease. Adequate water consumption will help you stay mobile well into your later years.
- Water keeps you cool: Everyone sweats when they get hot. That’s the body’s way of regulating its internal temperature. Skin is fortified with water reserves and releases sweat when your temperature starts to rise. Keeping up with your daily water intake, especially in warmer months and during strenuous activity, will help you tolerate the heat better and improve your performance during an intense workout.
- Water supports cognitive function: Every part of your body needs water, and the brain is no exception. Just as cartilage cushions the joints, water lubricates the brain to keep you focused and on top of your game. Dehydration can lead to headaches and brain fog, causing problems with cognition. People who drink enough water are more likely to be productive at work and score well on exams.
- Water keeps hair and skin healthy: Proper hydration is what gives hair its luscious shine. No matter how many hair products you try, water will always be the key ingredient for growing strong, beautiful locks. Water is also a must for helping skin maintain a smooth, flawless appearance. It’s what keeps skin looking and feeling supple and helps eliminate problems like acne.
Fun ways to up your intake
Be honest with yourself—are you drinking enough water? Most people would probably say no. Fulfilling your daily intake might sound boring, but it doesn’t have to be. There are plenty of fun ways to spruce up the typical glass of tap water. Use these little tricks to get excited about drinking more water right away:
- Mix in herbs and fruit: When it comes to flavored water, you’ve got more options than a basic spritz of lemon juice. Jazz up that glass of water with fresh fruits like berries, mangoes or passionfruit or add a few slices of cucumber. Toss in a few mint or basil leaves, and that dull tap water will hit you with a flavor blast!
- Use nifty gadgets: Turn boring water consumption into an excuse to go shopping! Countless products are out there to help you consume more water like silicone straws and water bottles that mark the hours of the day along their sides. Bottles that gauge your progress make drinking water fun by transforming it into a game. Once you drain the final drops from that bottle, go ahead and reward yourself for staying hydrated!
- Schedule water breaks: Life gets busy, and we might forget to drink water along the way. Make hydration a habit by drinking some water every time you switch activities. Refuel with a glass after bathroom breaks, in between errands and when you arrive home from work. It’s also a smart move to hydrate during downtime, like while you wait for dinner to finish cooking or as you enjoy a chill night in front of the television.
Drinking water is extremely simple and the key to feeling your best. A few more cups each day will do wonders for your energy levels, skin and hair beauty, nutrition and more. Hydration offers so many benefits, we couldn’t list them all here! Now go pour yourself a glass—your body will surely thank you for it.